Goal setting is a very personal process, and there are many different ways to do it. The trick is finding the method and the tools that work for you and embracing them.
There are a lot of different perspectives on goal setting, which is great because that means there is always something new to learn. As we lean into the New Year, I thought it might be useful to share a list of goal-setting resources — including a number of different perspectives, techniques and tools — to kick off your own goal setting process.
1. Getting Started with Goal Setting – Starting at the very beginning, the tips in this article will help you get started with goal setting for your business, focus on the specifics of what you hope to accomplish, and start to put your plan into action.
2. Planning for the Champagne Moment – Looking for a quick and dirty goal setting process? Simon tells us that setting goals can be as simple and crafting a sentence, clearly explaining what we want to accomplish.
3. SMART Goal Setting 101 – The SMART formula is a popular way to take general goals and whittle them down into realistic and measurable targets. This article includes links to an introduction, a SMART goal setting worksheet and examples.
4. 30-Minute Goal Setting – Tight on time? Don’t let that be an excuse for skipping goals. Here is a process for getting started with goal setting that you should be able to fit into even the craziest schedule.
5. Backward Goal Setting – When you are overwhelmed by the idea of setting goals, it can be helpful to start at the end and work backwards. This articles walks you through the process of creating realistic goals that are broken down into single actions you can focus on one at a time.
6. 3 Ways to Kick Goal Setting Into High Gear – Finding time for goal setting is a challenge for many of us, but there are things you can try to set goals on a time budget. Here are three ideas.
7. Do You Have a Baseline? – Having a baseline can help you stay on track, meet expectations, avoid feelings of overwhelm, and build forward-moving momentum. And it can be a powerful tool in any goal setting process.
8. Goal Setting and Tracking Software – This list of goal setting and tracking software will help you create, track and achieve your most important business goals.
9. 5 New Year’s Resolutions for Your Business – Not sure where to start when it comes to setting targets for the year? Here are a few ideas that might get you inspired.
10. The Best Goal Is No Goal – I promised I would include a number of different perspectives and techniques for goal setting, so what about not setting any goals at all? Check out this article to see what a no-goal approach would look like.
What is your favorite goal setting technique? What tools do you use to stay on track after you set your goals?